Each boat requires a different number of crew to sail it effectively in a race. Below are the most common crew positions.
- Skipper Helms the boat, coordinates the work of the crew, often calls tactics and trims the main sail.
- Genoa Trimmer Trims the headsail (jib or genoa) upwind. Some crews may use two crewmembers for gross and fine trim of the headsail.
- Spinnaker Trimmer Trims the spinnaker downwind.
- Foredeck Sets, takes down and jibes the spinnaker or whisker pole, hoists and releases the spinnaker and headsail halyards.
- Mid-Boat May also be referred to as Pit or Sewer. Mid-Boat works with Foredeck to set/takedown the spinnaker and headsails. May also help with tacking the genoa or calling tactics.
- Tactician Makes decisions regarding strategy during a race. On some boats, the skipper is also the tactician.