Last week I talked about why the Bee Fleet came about. This week, I want to dig a little into the “what” and “how.”
What is the Bee Fleet? Quite simply it is opportunity to race your sailboat in a format that is enjoyable and friendly to beginners and to sailors who are primarily cruisers. It is a chance for skippers and Club Boat skippers to get your boat on the water with friends, family and other PPYC members. It is opportunity to connect skippers with crew. It is a way to improve your sailing skills by sailing a course, working on right of way rules and getting more familiar with your boat. The Bee Fleet is opportunity to sail in several of our organized events and we hope it will lead to people enjoying their boats more on evenings and weekends when there isn’t an event.
How does the Bee Fleet work? The fleet integrates into our normal events in the following ways:
- Wednesday Night Racing: We start Bee Fleet boats a little after the other racers and sail a little shorter course.
- Double Double: Bee Fleet sail’s a course close to the committee boat while other race fleets sail around an island course. On the water coaching and ride-along coaches are encouraged.
- In September, we once again have planned a PPYC U training class on the 7th that is geared for sailors who don’t have a lot of race experience.
- Then, on September 14th we will have the Rookie Race that is an on the water follow up to the class. Last year we received a lot of very positive feedback from those who participated. This is the third year with this format and it has been growing each year. I would love to see us double the participation from last year.
- Fall Off Regatta: Bee Fleet sail’s in a format similar to what is done in the Double Double.
- My hope is the Bee Fleet will continue to gain steam and that we will see our first Fleet Captain that comes from within the Bee Fleet ranks in 2019. Are you that person? Organized fleets can communicate with each other, can host social and casual sailing events and assist each other as needed.
I have already dealt with the why, what and how of the Bee Fleet. The only thigs left are who, when and where. If the “who” is you, then the "when" is Saturday, March 30th and the "where" is Hamilton Creek club house
The Force Five Regatta is open for registration!
Don’t miss these other upcoming events: Bee Fleet Meet & Greet on 3/30; Hamilton Creek Marina Clean-Up 4/6, Force Five Regatta 4/13, PPYC U - Edith Collins Presents 4/27.
Let’s go sailing!